Vehicle Permit Scheme

Who needs a Permit?

If you are a Halton resident and are planning to use a van or a large trailer, either hired or owned, to access the Household Waste Centre then you will need to apply for a relevant Permit.

Types of Permit

Permits are available FREE to residents of Halton, however they are limited to one of each type per household.

Annual Permit

Required for delivering general household waste, recyclable waste such as garden waste, newspapers, magazines, glass bottles, textiles, cardboard, cans, batteries and oil etc and small segregated household waste items. Permits are valid for an unlimited number of visits to the sites over a 12 month period.

Temporary Permit

Required for delivering bulky household waste such as furniture, televisions, white goods etc and rubble, scrap metal and wood. Up to 6 Temporary Permits can be issued in a 12 month period. If you are a resident and own your vehicle you can apply for all 6 temporary permits at once to save you applying each time. These will then be valid for 6 visits or 12 months, whichever comes first.​

Vehicle Types

The following vehicles come under the Permit Scheme.

  1. Vans
  2. Estate/hatchback/4x4 cars with rear seats permanently removed and/or blanked out side/rear windows
  3. Flat back or pickup vehicles
  4. Trailers between 2 & 3 metres long
Image of vehicles allowed 

Vehicle Restrictions

The following are restricted from accessing the sites:

  • Vehicles about 3.5 tonne gross weight
  • Vehicles with trailers greater than 3 metres (external box measurement, not including tow bar)

Please note, you do not need a Permit if you use a car or a car with a trailer that is less than 2 metres long.

What do I need to apply for a Permit?

You will need specific documentation relevant to the vehicle you will use and should note the following before applying:

  1. You must bring all required documentation with you or Permits will not be issued
  2. Only single use temporary Permits can be issued for hired or borrowed vehicles
  3. You will need to produce your Permit when visiting the sites
  4. Hire documents must be produced when visiting sites or access will not be allowed

If you are registered on the Council tax system you may not be required to produce other forms of ID.

Owned Vehicle

  • Vehicle registration document (for owned vehicle), plus
  • One other form of ID from the following (which must contain name and address)
    • Council tax bill
    • Driving licence
    • Recent utility bill

Hired Vehicle

  • One form of ID from the following (which must contain applicant name and address
    • Council tax bill
    • Driving licence
    • Recent utility bill
  • If you have hire documents at the time you apply for your permit please bring them with you

Borrowed Vehicle

  • Details of the owner (owner name and address)
  • Vehicle registration, type of vehicle, including size, colour and any markings, plus
  • One form of ID from the following (which must contain applicant name and address)
    • Council tax bill
    • Driving licence
    • Recent utility bill

Where can I obtain a Permit?

You can take all your required documentation to any of the Halton Direct Links (One Stop Shops)​. Once we have completed your application and carried out necessary checks we will issue your Permit.

Why use a Permit system?

Household Waste and Recycling Centres are paid for by Halton Council taxpayers and therefore should only be used by residents for disposing of or recycling household waste. Commercial businesses and traders can attempt to use these facilities free of charge, which is unfair and also illegal. The Permit Scheme allows us to continue to ensure residents have exclusive access to what is rightfully theirs.

Trade Waste

If you are looking to dispose of trade waste contact the Environment Agency

Fly Tipping

Individuals and businesses who illegally deposit waste can be prosecuted under the Clean Neighbourhood and Environment Act 2005. Offenders can be required to pay full clean up costs to the council for removing the waste as well as face prosecution in the courts.

The maximum penalty on conviction is up to £50,000