Finding Childcare or Setting up in childcare

Finding Childcare

When choosing your childcare, ensure you give yourself plenty of time, ask other parents for recommendations, make a few appointments with different settings to see what’s on offer and get a feel for the staff.

For a personalised search giving details of Ofsted registered childcare providers in your area, including whether  they have vacancies, offer a school pick-up/drop-off service, opening hours, prices, etc, contact the Families Information Service

Finding Childcare for a Child with Additional Needs or a Disability

All Halton childcare providers have an Inclusion Policy that detail the level of care they offer to meet the needs of all children.  Therefore the Families Information Service can offer a brokerage service to help find suitable childcare for your child’s needs.  Visit Halton’s SEND provision and details of the Authority’s Local Offer support and guidance for more information.

Concerns and complaints about childcare providers

If you need to make a complaint about a registered childcare provider, contact the Ofsted Complaints Team. For more detailed information visit the Ofsted website.

Setting up Childcare - Non Domestic Premises

If you are interested in setting up childcare on non- domestic premises please read our guide

Setting up Childcare - Domestic Premises

  1. Contact the Families Information Service who will provide information about childminding, and an invitation to attend a pre-registration meeting or drop-in session which covers whether childminding is right for you and the application process involved.
  2. You will be required to complete a pre-registration training course. Part 1 is the Level 3 Award in Preparing to Work in Home-Based Childcare. This is an online course and you will need to find your own provider. You will also need to complete Part 2, which is a HBC run training course, covering Paediatric First Aid, Observation, Assessment & Planning, Business Skills and Safeguarding. This section of the course costs £60 and can be booked by contacting Families Information Service
  3. Once you have completed the training, you will need to apply online to become registered with Ofsted

More information about all of the above will be included in the pack which you will be sent following your initial enquiry to Families Information Service.

Halton Childcare Sufficiency Assessment

The purpose of the Halton Childcare Sufficiency Assessment will also help you in setting up your business as it details the location and types of childcare already available and the supply and demand within each ward in Halton.

Further information and advice for childminders can be found from the Professional Association for Childcare and Early Years or from the government's website.

Other useful websites

  • The Early Years Qualifications Finder is designed to help those delivering the Early Years Foundation Stage to identify which qualifications are considered full and relevant.
  • Every child under the age of five is entitled to a free 189ml serving of milk whilst in attendance at a registered daycare provider for two or more hours a day. The Government’s Nursery Milk Reimbursement Unit (NMRU) manages the Nursery Milk Scheme.
  • HM Revenue & Customs has developed a range of useful tools to help new businesses understand tax and National insurance responsibilities. They have also produced a free e-learning course called ‘Starting in Business’ which explains and guides you through everything you need to know to get started in business.