In Year Admissions: Applying for a change of school

Outside of the normal admissions rounds, parents/carers can apply for any school, at any time, even if the school does not currently have places available*.

Following an update to the School Admissions Code 2021, the following processes are now in place in Halton for in-year admissions:


Applying for a transfer to a Halton Secondary School

Parents/carers wishing to apply for a transfer to any Halton secondary school should read the following document before submitting their application:

Halton Secondary In Year Fair Access Protocol Protocol

Once you have read the document, if you still wish to make an application, you should then complete the appropriate form below and return it directly to the local authority:

Halton Local Authority: Secondary In-Year Transfer Common Application Form

Parents/carers are strongly advised to discuss the move with their child’s current school before making an application, as they will be required to assist with the completion of the application form.

Parents making a transfer request to a secondary school in another local authority should refer to that local authority’s processes for guidance on how to make an application. Applications to schools outside of Halton cannot be made on the Halton application form.


Applying for a transfer to a Halton Primary School

Parents/carers wishing to apply for a place outside of the normal intake round in September, or for a place in all other year groups, should read the appropriate guidance notes on the first page of the application form and make contact with their preferred school (s) to discuss place availability in the requested year group (s). You can then complete the application form and return it directly to your preference school (s).

PRIMARY SCHOOL In-Year Common Application Form 

Following the update to the School Admissions Code 2021 all primary schools in Halton have now agreed a new Fair Access Protocol. ​Please see the ​Primary In-Year Fair Access Protocol​ for information regarding this process.

If you are applying for a place at a school outside of Halton you will need to contact the admission authority for that school for information on how to apply. Applications to schools outside of Halton cannot be made on the Halton application form and the Primary In-Year Fair Access Protocol does not apply to schools outside of Halton.


Steps after recei​ving your offer of a school place: In year admissions

Schools will normally expect the child to start by the latest at the beginning of the next half term following the offer of the place, or at least within 4 weeks of the offer being made when the start of the next half-term is less than 4 weeks in advance. There are few exceptions to this which the school should be able to advise you about at the time of application.

We strongly advise that you do not remove your child from their current school until they start at their new school.

If you are unsuccessful in application you will receive a written response advising why your application has been refused and you will be offered​ the right of appeal.


Advice for parents/carers of foreign national children

The Department for Education (DfE) has issued non-statutory guidance to local authorities and schools taking into account the post-Brexit immigration system.  You can also read the DfE guide for parents when making a school application.