Private Sector Housing

If you live in rented accommodation you should be able to expect your  home to be in good repair, warm, secure and free from health and safety hazards. Halton Borough Council is responsible for the enforcement of private sector housing standards within Halton.

Some of the issues they deal with include:

  • Providing  general advice and guidance to tenants and landlords on a wide range of issues
  • Works to improve the standards and conditions of privately rented housing in Halton
  • Provides licencing services for houses in multiple occupation (HMOs)
  • Dealing with empty properties
  • Dealing with landlord harassment or unlawful eviction.

If your landlord refuses to carry out essential repairs and they have not responded to your spoken and written requests, contact us.  We can talk to them on your behalf or take action against them. We may also send out an officer to inspect the property.

Houses in multiple occupation

If you own a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) some issues  you need to consider include:

  • Fire safety
  • Space standards
  • Amenities
  • Gas safety
  • Disrepair and the management of the property.


HMO Licence Application

HMO licence conditions change on 1st October 2018. From 1st October 2018 landlords must have an HMO licence if:

  • Five or more tenants live in their property and
  • These tenants are split into two or more unrelated ‘households’ or groups e.g. a couple and a family of three and
  • These tenants share facilities such as a bathroom and kitchen
  • A new licence condition also introduces minimum bedroom sizes for HMO properties. Please visit for more information.

HMO Licence Application Form »

Officers can give advice and guidance to landlords and tenants. Please contact us for more details.


Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Regulations

The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations require private sector landlords to have at least one smoke alarm installed on every storey of their properties, and a carbon monoxide alarm in any room containing a solid fuel burning appliance (e.g. a coal fire, wood burning stove etc.). After that, the landlord must make sure the alarms are in working order at the start of each new tenancy.  The Government produced an explanatory booklet for landlords

The law requires that the Council publish a Statement of Principles.