Our Land Charges Officer will be on annual leave from Friday 18th August 1200 – Tuesday 5th September 0900 inclusive. Please continue to send your search requests and orders in the usual manner but please note that no searches will be sent out during this period. If you require any copy documents during this time please contact
for further assistance.
Local Land Charges
A Local Land Charges Search is an important step in the process of buying or leasing a new home or business premise, the search will give the 'charges' enforceable against successive owners by local authorities, or central government. If you are planning to buy a house or plot of land, or lease a property, you will need to know whether the authority will charge you for any outstanding or on-going services. For example, the council maintains some footpaths at public expense; others may be the responsibility of the owners or leaseholders. You will want to know about any restrictions or preservation orders on the property and about any planning applications that may affect the property in the future, for example, whether any new roads are being proposed across the end of your property.
The Local Land Search also provides other important information, for example if the property has been improved with the help of a disabled facilities grant.
Generally a solicitor carries out the search on your behalf as part of the house conveyancing process, but it is possible for you to carry out your own search.
Help us to deal with your search promptly
When submitting a search please ensure that:
- The property is in the Borough of Halton
- The LLC1 and Con29 are provided in duplicate with the return address clearly printed
- The correct fee is submitted and any cheque is signed, dated and made payable to Halton Borough Council
- Two copies of a good quality plan clearly marking the boundaries of the site in red are provided (one plan will be returned to you)
- For personal searches an appointment must be made no more than a rolling four working days ahead. Ten appointments per day are available (limited to 8 appointments per search company) and a plan must be submitted prior to the search being carried out
- All information required (e.g. Part II questions) is requested when the search is presented
- Only one staple is used to secure the search papers. Valuable time is wasted removing them each day.
Prices (Inclusive of VAT)|
|Official Certificate (LLC1) ||£30|
|Form CON29R ||£96 |
|Official Search (LLC1 & CON29) ||£126|
|Each additional (LLC1) parcel* ||£5|
|Each additional (CON29) parcel* ||£96|
|CON29O Optional Enquiries ||£14.40 per question, per parcel (Q22 Common Land £16.80) |
|Each additional enquiry ||£31.20|
|Personal Search||No charge|
*'Parcel of land' means land (including a building or part of a building) which is separately occupied or separately rated or, if not occupied or rated, in separate ownership. For the purpose of this definition an owner is a person who (in his own right or as a trustee for any other person) is entitled to receive the rack rent of land, or, where the land is not a rack rent, would be so entitled if it were so let.
** A separate search requisition should be made for each parcel of land.
However, if for the purpose of a single transaction a search is required in respect of two or more parcels of land which share a common boundary or are separated by a road, railway, river, stream or canal, a search request can include additional parcels of land.
+ ALL FEES PAYABLE ARE SUBJECT TO THE COUNCIL'S CURRENT MAXIMUM CEILING OF £3000.00
Should you have land with additional parcels of land, or are just unsure as to what price applies to your search, please contact us and we can give you a detailed estimate.
All fees are reviewed annually.
Halton Borough Council aims to provide search replies within 10 working days
Pay Local Land Charges online
Direct Dial 0151 511 6201
CON29R Component Data
The data required to reply to CON29R questions can be obtained from the
council department that maintains the information. Please
contact us for further information
Personal Search Guidance Note
Please follow the following procedure:-
- Address which you wish to be searched are to be sent via email to
firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following information in your email.
Title – PERSONAL SEARCH REQUEST
- In the body of the email state the following information in this order:
- Full details of addresses you wish to be searched
- Attach any relevant plans.
- Addresses will be confirmed by return of email. If we have reached the maximum number of slots available for that day we will carry over your request to the next available processing day.
- Your personal search result will be returned to you via email. Current turnaround times are a maximum ten working days.
- Addresses will be allocated on a 'first come, first served basis' with a maximum of 10 addresses per day (8 maximum per company).
- Responses will be sent during the following office hours - Monday 9am - 1pm, Tuesday 9am - 4.30pm, Wednesday 9am - 1.30pm, Friday 9am - 12pm. Anything sent outside of these times will be confirmed upon my return.
- For any queries please
email. Please note that no queries can be answered on Thursdays.
- Further information about your property can be viewed