Children Social Care Young People Feedback


Complaints specific to Children Social Care can fall under the below procedure, (this excludes complaints in relation to Section 47 of the Children Act – Child Protection). 

First of all we will try to sort out any problems and deal with concerns as quickly as possible. If they can’t do this, or if you want someone else to deal with it we will follow these stages. 

Stage 1 – Internal Investigation, Problem Solving - The majority of complaints can be sorted out by the manager responsible for the service, they will investigate and aim to respond to you within 10 working days. In some instances this is extended to 20 working days. Their response will tell you the outcome of their investigation and what action they intend to take. If you are not satisfied with the response you may be eligible for consideration under stage 2 of the complaints procedure. 

Stage 2 – External Investigation - An Independent Investigator makes enquiries on your behalf and will provide you and the council with a report on their findings and recommendations, the Council will comment on the report. We aim to complete Stage 2 within 25 working days, however some cases may be more complex and the time may be increased to 65 working days. 

Stage 3 – Independent Review - If you are still not satisfied with the response you receive from Stage 2 you may be eligible for consideration under Stage 3 and ask for your complaint to be reviewed. You should request this within 20 working days after you have received the stage 2 response. A panel of 3 Independent people are appointed to look at how your complaint was investigated and they provide a report on their findings and recommendations. We aim to complete Stage 3 within 30 working days. 

What if I am still not happy after Stage 3? - You can ask the ​Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman to look at your complaint at any time but they will usually want to see it go through all 3 stages first. You can telephone them on 0300 061 0614 or write to PO Box 4771,
Coventry, CV4 0EH.​

Need an Advocate? - If you are a young person who wants help to make a complaint we can help you to find an Advocate, we will help you to get in touch with NYAS (National Youth Advocacy Service) and they will help you sort through your problem. 

If you want to make a complaint about Children Social Care you can telephone, write a letter or fill in one of the forms, there is a form for a ​Young Person or you can use the one aimed at ​ Adults, which ever you find easiest. 

Section 47 of the Children Act – Child Protection - If there are complaints about the work of the Council, these will be handled in under the Councils Corporate Complaints Procedure and you can send complaint in relation to this to Dorothy Roberts. If a complaint involves other agencies you will need to make your complaint via that agency’s own complaint process. 


Telephone: 0151 511 8624

Post: People Directorate (2nd floor Rutland), Halton Borough Council, Freepost WIP4, Widnes, WA8 7BR 

Children Social Services Complaints Privacy Notice 


An EHC plan is a legal document which gives a child or young person with special educational needs or disabilities (“SEND”) rights to the education, health and care provision set out in that plan. 

If you are unhappy about something to do with an EHC plan, the right course of action depends on your situation and/or what it is that you are unhappy with. 

If you are unhappy with the involvement of Children Social Care during the EHC planning process write to Dorothy Roberts. 

If you already have an EHC plan, but the issue is that the provision set out in the EHC plan is not being provided, or is about other Council services then the Councils Corporate Complaints Procedure may apply. You can contact or write to Corporate Complaints, Halton Council, Municipal Buildings, Kingsway, Widnes WA8 7QF. 

If you want to appeal about what an EHC plan contains when it has first been issued after an EHC needs assessment, if it has been amended at any time, or if the local authority has refused to amend it following an annual review. Information in how to appeal can be found on the Halton Local Offer.