Fit 4 Life is about living a healthy and balanced lifestyle. You can help parents and carers to make simple changes that can have long lasting effects on them and their families.
A ½ day training course for professionals working with children and young people aged 5-17. The training covers motivational interviewing, goal setting, the guidelines around healthy eating and physical activity, the importance of sleep, reducing sedentary time and screen time. The training equips participants with ideas and resources to deliver key health messages effectively – either during organised sessions or informal chats with children and families.
You do not need to be working in a health role, as anyone working with children and young people can have informal conversations about lifestyle choices. After completing the course you can choose to deliver your own healthy lifestyle sessions in your own setting, incorporate the guidelines into your policies and practice, and support families and young people to make small changes to their lifestyles.
- Understand the cycle of change.
- Know how to use motivational interviewing and set goals with clients.
- Know the basic guidelines for healthy eating.
- Recognise that a lot of healthy eating advice we hear is myth, and that a varied and balanced diet is the key.
- Understand the difference between sugar and sweeteners, and the effects of both on our health.
- Recognise the effect of sedentary behaviour and screen time on health.
- Understand the importance of sleep for weight control and general health.
- Be able to create some basic resources to back up your interventions.