Building Control

If you do have any questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch at  or contact 0151-511-6565
For Inspections in HALTON please call 0151 511 6565.
For Inspections in KNOWSLEY please call 0151 443 2342.

Full Plans Application

Email your electronic application and plans to  The plans should be drawn to a suitable scale ie: 1:50, and 1:100, contain floor plans, elevations and sections showing all construction detail.  Your plans will normally be checked within 10 working days of a valid submission. If they conform to the relevant regulations then an “Approval” will be issued.  If they show omissions or further information is required then advice will be given.  Further guidance is available in the merseyside guide to extending your home.

Building Notice Application

This type of application is generally aimed at very small domestic building works and projects which do not require consultation with United Utilities regarding public sewers nearby and we also cannot accept a Building Notice for commercial or industrial buildings. No formal approval will be given with these types of application. The total fee is payable upon the submission of the application in full.  Email your electronic application and plans to


For Building Control fees, you can email detailing the proposed work and we will contact you within one working day. You can also contact the following officers below between 8.30am-5:00pm Monday to Thursday & 8.30am-4:40pm Friday.

  • Gareth Frost - Building Control Surveyor: 0151 511 7576 / 07880815423
  • Paul Devine - Building Control Surveyor: 0151 511 8732 / 07384455458
  • Sam Canavan – Building Control Surveyor: 0151 511 6057 / 07385 145667​
  • Kate Davies – Building Control Technical Officer: 0151 511 7153
  • Adam Jones - Building Control Manager: 0151 443 2342 / 07814775321
  • Andy Carvell - Building Control Surveyor: 0151 443 2224 / 07500765133
  • Sam Jackson – Building Control Surveyor: 0151 443 2532/07584370990

Fees can be paid online


The demolition of any building exceeding 50 cubic metres (1750 cubic feet), roughly the size of a single garage, will require a demolition notice before starting demolition work. You will need to notify us in writing of your intention and not commence demolition until your receive a Demolition Notice in return from us.

Demolition work should not start until:

  • You have received a Notice from the Local Authority containing conditions which you must follow; or
  • A period of six weeks has passed since you informed the Local Authority of your intention to commence demolition.
  • During the demolition process the Building Control Officers will carry out regular inspections to ensure that you comply with all the conditions imposed.  Please remember that the requirements of the Health and Safety Executive must also apply along with the Construction Design and Management Regulations.

Should demolition work commence without informing the Local Authority you will be committing an offence and could be fined up to £2,500. It should also be noted that if demolition work relates to a Listed Building then a Listed Building Consent will also be required.  In these cases a separate notification needs to be given under the planning regulations. If in doubt please contact us.

Other application forms
Dangerous Structure

If you have any doubts as to whether the building you are dealing with is dangerous please contact us immediately on 0303 333 4300 during office hours 8am - 6pm Monday-Friday (except Bank Holidays) and 0333 000 4300 at all other times.