Pest Control

Temporary changes to pest control services

It is recognised that rats are a public health pest and so it is important that the council continues to provide a service to control rat activity where this is essential to the protection of public health. However we need to do this in a way that balances the health risk posed by rats with the risk to our staff and customers from COVID 19. Therefore in keeping with the Government advice on social distancing we need to minimise our direct contact with households and properties as much as possible.

​If you phone us to report rats we will take the details and you will be called back by a qualified pest control officer to provide some advice and determine whether or not we are able to assist. If the problem is outside and access can be provided via a rear or side gate we may be able to carry out a free treatment outside. All treatments will be by appointment only.​​

​​ Missed appointments

We are also experiencing an increase in customers not being present when we call at their property for a pre-arranged appointment. Whilst the service is free to all customers - missed appointments do have a significant impact on our workload and affect the response times to other customers. If you miss a prearranged appointment without first contacting us to make alternative arrangements we will not be able to offer a further appointment until we have completed all current outstanding requests.

Domestic premises

Rats: The Council will continue to treat rats inside premises i.e. in lofts, cavity walls and kitchens - and outside premises i.e. in gardens, yards and under sheds. These treatments are free of charge to all Halton residents. We will prioritise rats treatments inside properties however we aim to respond to all new requests within five working days.

To help keep your property pest free you can try following the tips below:​

  • Ensure all household rubbish is stored in the refuse bins provided
  • Remove garden rubbish, debris, old furniture etc, which can provide harbourage that would attract rats (Halton Council Offers a bulky household items service to remove large items from properties for a charge).
  • Clean up dog mess as rats will eat faeces
  • Maintaining a tidy garden.
  • Removing food scraps and packaging from gardens or alleyways.
  • Avoid feeding birds.
  • For food stored in sheds and garages, use sealed metal or plastic containers to prevent rodent access.
  • Use brush strips where there is a gap under a door – this helps stop rats getting into your property.
  • Ensure drainage inspection covers are in good repair and gully or grid covers are in place – this stops rats escaping from drains and sewers.
  • Good building maintenance – such as filling in holes and/or proofing openings bigger than 2.5cm in diameter. This helps to stop rats getting into your property.

Ants and Mice – Service will not be available. This is normally a service the council charge for.  During this period you may wish to consider treating the problem yourself using products available in most DIY stores. Always follow the manufactures instructions and ensure pesticides are kept away from children and animals. If you do not resolve the problem yourself you are welcome to contact the council after the 5th August 2019 and book a chargeable treatment.  Alternatively you can contact your own pest control contractor. We advise that you use a contractor who is a member of the British Pest Control Association

Wasps, Fleas, Bedbugs, Cockroaches – Service will not be available. This is normally a service the council charge for. These pests require specialist treatment. You will need to contact your own pest control contractor. We advise that you use a contractor who is a member of the British Pest Control Association

Bees. The council does not provide a routine treatment service for bees.. Advice on Bees​.


Normal Service. We will continue to provide chargeable pest control services to schools. However we may need to keep the service offered under review if request volumes are high during this period.

Commercial premises

Service will not be available. We normally charge for all pest treatments at commercial premises. We will not be able to offer any pest control treatment to commercial premises during this period. Commercial premises will need to contact their own pest control contractor.

Report pest issue


​For more information and advice on pests visit The British Pest Control Website and these photos may help in identifying the differences between wasps and bees.

Commercial Charge for all pests (per hour, minimum 1 hour)£78.40 (plus VAT)
School Charge:  
Domestic Charges: 
£10.00 call out fee will be retained if we cannot treat