Air and Land Pollution

Industrial Pollution

Certain companies with industrial processes which have the potential to emit significant amounts of pollution are required to have a permit. The permit sets conditions which will keep pollution emissions to a minimum. Permits are issued under the Pollution Prevention and Control Act 1999 .  To report any issues please contact us

Permits are issued by

  • Part A1 Installations - The Environment Agency
  • Part A2 Installations - Halton Borough Council
  • Part B Installations - Halton Borough Council

Details of fees charged can be found from DEFRA

A register of installations that have been issued with a permit by Halton Council can be found here​.

Permit Applications

Guidance Notes

​Cooling Towers

The Notification of Cooling Towers and Evaporative Condensers Regulations 1992 places a duty on persons in control of premises to notify us in writing of 'notifiable devices'. Notifiable Devices consist of cooling towers and evaporative condensers, except where they contain water that is not exposed to the air, and the water and electricity supply are not connected. If a tower becomes redundant or dismantled, this should also be notified.

For further information please contact us

Contaminated Land

How does land get contaminated? 

Land may become contaminated when substances have found their way on or into the ground - often due to industrial disposal, leaks or spillages. These substances may still be present in the ground above background or acceptable levels.  Land formerly used by industries may now be used for other purposes which are more sensitive to the potential effects of contamination. Our Contaminated Land Inspection Strategy sets out how we inspect our area for potentially contaminated land.

Report an incident

To report an incident please contact us. If you have seen or are concerned about fly-tipping you can report general fly-tipping

Deciding if land is contaminated

When we investigate contaminated land we follow guidance set out by DEFRA.

Enquiries & Searches 

Land contamination reports for a given property or site is issued detailing all information held by HBC relating to known or potential contamination including historical, land use, landfill locations and details of site investigations and remediation contamination. The charge varies depending on the size of the site for which information is requested.  Please contact us  to request this service.

Information Regarding Potentially Contaminated LandCost (£)
Premises Less than 10 Hectares in Size :
Premises Site Only 76.50
Search of Premises Site and Land Within 250 metres of Boundaries 122.40
Search of Premises Site and Land Within 500 metres of Boundaries 204.00
Search of Premises Site and Land Within 1000 metres of Boundaries 279.48​​
Premises More Than 10 Hectares in Size :
Premises Site Only 122.40
Search of Premises Site and Land Within 250 metres of Boundaries 204.00
Search of Premises Site and Land Within 500 metres of Boundaries 279.48​

Contaminated land register

We're required to maintain a public register of sites determined as "contaminated land". The register is intended as a complete record of all the action we take to identify and reverse the environmental damage of contaminated land. To request an appointment please contact us