Green Homes Grant

A range of support and a number of​ grants are available to residents in Halton looking to improve the energy efficiency of their homes.

Please note that not all grants are directly delivered or managed by the Council.

Homes Upgrade Grant (HUG2)

This scheme is now open for applications for non-gas heated homes.

Working in partnership, Halton Borough Council and the Liverpool City Region Combined Authority has secured funding from HM  Government's Homes Upgrade Grant (HUG2). This will pay for work on improving the energy efficiency of homes in Halton to make them warmer, help cut carbon emissions and reduce energy costs. Home energy improvement measures includes:

  • Cavity and solid wall insulation
  • Insulation for lofts and rooms-in-roofs and under floor insulation
  • Upgrading single-glazing with double-glazing and new external doors [this is anticipated to be a limited measure being installed]
  • Alternative heating systems such as air source heat pumps
  • Solar photovoltaic (PV) electric panels

Homeowners are not required to make a financial contribution to measures installed via the HUG; in the case of private rental properties the landlord is required to make a financial contribution. Any financial assistance is subject to meeting scheme qualifying eligibility criteria and also subject to a technical survey. The qualifying criteria is set by HM Government.

The scheme is being delivered by Ecogee a home energy improvement company. They have been appointed and vetted by the Liverpool City Region Combined Authority and the Local Authorities participating in the scheme.

Quick Step-By-Step Guide

From start to finish the Homes Upgrade Grant process typically takes 4 – 12 weeks, and involves the following steps:

  • To apply for the grant, Halton residents must complete the referral form:
  • Households will then be contacted by Ecogee to undertake an eligibility assessment and organise a home energy survey;
  • If households meet the criteria and the survey identifies suitable improvement measures, recommendations are presented to the household (and also the private landlord in rented properties) for agreement;
  • Once agreed, Ecogee will liaise with the resident (and any private landlord) to organise installation of improvement measures.

More information on the HUG2 scheme, including to check your eligibility and to register your interest please visit:

How and when can you apply?

If you think you are eligible, you can apply now by completing the referral form:

For residents who require additional support and assistance to register their interest, please contact Ecogee on 0151 521 4520.

Any other queries in relation to the HUG2 scheme, please contact the Council on 0303 333 4300, or visit a Halton Direct Link.

Energy Company Obligation (ECO4)

The Energy Company Obligation (ECO4) scheme is administered by the Office of Gas and Electricity Markets (OFGEM). OFGEM are the national energy regulatory for Great Britian. This grant scheme enables energy suppliers to fund installing energy saving measures in owner-occupied or private rented households.

As part of ECO4, a local authority can set out its own eligibility criteria for the grant (in addition to the standard route to apply). This is known as “ECO4 LA Flex”. All the Local Authorities within the Liverpool City Region have agreed a joint Statement of Intent setting out eligibility criteria. This allows Halton Council to make declarations determining that certain households meet the eligibility criteria. This declaration does not guarantee you any grant, which is at the discretion of the installation companies and is subject to a home survey.

Information on ECO4 can be found at OFGEM:

Information on Halton Borough Council’s ECO4 LA Flex eligibility criteria, last updated in 2023:

As part of the ECO4 LA Flex process, you may be asked to provide evidence of eligibility and to sign an agreement to share data.

Halton residents may receive mail, cold calling or door stepping from installation companies or lead generators offering measures under ECO4 or ECO4 LA Flex. The companies or lead generators will check whether residents meet the national or local eligibility criteria. Halton Council does not currently endorse any installation companies or lead generators and does not oversee installation measures under ECO4 or ECO4 LA Flex. Some steps you can take to protect yourself:

Great British Insulation Scheme (GBIS)

The Great British Insulation Scheme (GBIS) is a government energy efficiency scheme. GBIS provides free or cheaper insulation to the least energy-efficient homes in Great Britain.

The scheme is available to homeowners, landlords, and tenants who meet certain eligibility criteria. The insulation measures that can be installed under the scheme include cavity wall insulation, solid wall insulation (internal or external), loft insulation, flat or pitched roof insulation, underfloor insulation, solid floor insulation, park home insulation, and room-in-roof insulation.

If you are interested in applying for support from the GBIS, you can check your eligibility and apply direct via the Government website:

Energy Bills & Cost of Living

Halton Borough Council offers a range of support services to help residents with their cost of living. These services include help with energy bills, healthcare energy costs with medical equipment, accessing food, mental health support and cost of living payments.

You can find out about the wide range of services that can help, how to access them and eligibility requirements by visiting:

Require Further Help or Support?

If you are unsure which grant is suitable for your home. The Council has partnered with Energy Project Plus, a local not-for-profit organisation to provide free warm home and energy saving advice and support services in Halton. You can contact Energy Project Plus via the Save Energy Advice Line:

  • Call free: 0800 043 0151
  • Email:
  • Open Monday- Friday 9AM-5PM

For more information visit: 

For households that are unsure which service is best for them, they can contact the Council via:

You can check whether your home has an Energy Performance Certificate on the HM Government website: