Housing & Homeless Advice

Are you homeless or worried about losing your home?

Halton Borough Council provide an emergency homeless service. However this is for those who are unable to assist themselves in the short term and who meet strict criteria, set by Government.  Alongside this service the Council will try, wherever possible, to help before you become homeless. 

Our areas of expertise include:

  • Domestic abuse
  • Rent or mortgage arrears
  • Alcohol / substance misuse
  • Ex-offenders
  • Ex-Armed forces
  • Young people
  • Illegal eviction or harassment
  • If your current home is not suitable, you may need help with looking for a new home.

Please contact us: housing.solutionsteam@halton.gov.uk,​ ​telephone: 0151 511 7979 (9am – 5pm Mon to Fri) or 0333 000 4300 outside these hours.

Keeping you in your home

Problems paying your rent / mortgage

We maybe able to help manage your debt, maximise your income and negotiate with your landlord or mortgage company to stop you losing your home. Even if your payments are not affordable in the long term, the team may be able to stop you becoming homeless before you find a new home.

Problems with your private landlord

Is your landlord not carr​ying out repairs?  Are you suffering from harassment or threats of illegal eviction? Make sure you know your rights and responsibilities as a tenant: https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/private_renting. The government offers advice for those who are privately renting​.

If you have tried to resolve the problem yourself, please contact us. We have powers to help tenants in this situation.

Problems with your Social Landlord / Housing Association

The Council does not have responsibility to address problems with Social Landlords, however if you are a victim of anti-social behaviour and it is making you feel like you want to move. The Council may be able to help and in serious cases the Council has enforcement powers to address the issue.  If you are a victim of domestic abuse we can give advice on rights to occupy your home safely or to access a refuge placement.

Looking for a new home

If your current home is not suitable for you to continue to live in, there is help and advice available to access alternative housing. This can include help with finding a privately-rented home or applying for social / housing association housing. 

Looking for a home with a Social Landlord / Housing Association

Property Pool Plus is a dedicated service for anyone looking for affordable housing to rent in Runcorn, Widnes, Liverpool, Knowsley, Sefton and Wirral.

Affordable Warmth

Cold homes are one of the main causes of illness and death for people during the winter months. Please answer the questionnaire on affordable warmth. They will help us to know how we may help you to keep warm and healthy at home, at a cost you can afford.

Affordable warmth questions »