Health and Safety Enforcement

In line with the enforcement policy, we investigate health and safety complaints about workplaces in Halton, such as reportable accidents, dangerous occurrences and reportable diseases.

We inspect:

  • Shops and offices
  • Hotels and leisure facilities
  • Warehouses
  • Builders’ merchants
  • Steel stockholders
  • Residential homes
  • Nursing agencies

Health and safety standards

You must ensure that your business meets the necessary health and safety standards and procedures. You can find out more information about theses standards on the Health and Safety Executive website. Alternatively, we will be happy to advise you on health and safety matters in the workplace.

Personal treatment businesses

If your business involves tattooing, piercing, electrolysis or hairdressing, you must register your business with the council and meet the necessary byelaws, before you can operate. Please see the licensing section for more information.

Food business

If you run a food business you must register with the council. Please see 'register a food business' for more information.

​Our services

Some workplaces will be the responsibility of the Health and Safety Executive, rather than the Council, according to the nature of the work carried out. We can advise you who the relevant 'enforcing authority' for health and safety purposes is and when you contact us we;

  • Inspect places of work to ensure compliance with health and safety law, in accordance with government priorities
  • Use educational techniques as well as legal means to achieve compliance
  • Investigate accidents to employees or others which occur in workplaces
  • Investigate complaints about health, safety or welfare in work premises
  • Register particular premises (eg skin piercing, sex shops)
  • Act as a consultee in relation to public safety for applications under the Licensing Act
  • Give advice to customers and all stakeholders on health and safety issues
  • Work with other health professionals locally and nationally
  • Digital and Aerial installation
  • Construction safety​. You must tell the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) if you are going to do any construction work.
​Help us to help you

Please contact us if you wish to make a complaint about health, safety or welfare conditions in a workplace. Please have full details ready of the premises concerned when you contact us

If you make a complaint about a workplace, we will require your name, address and contact details so that we can keep you informed of our progress.